Friday, June 24, 2011

My Memories of the King of Pop

In honor of MJ's 2nd anniversary of his passing, i just wanted to share some memories with you of my most favorite entertainer.
I think my fondest memory of MJ would definitely have to be dragging my mom to go purchase the "HIStory" album in 1996. That was the first time that i was actually old enough to realize what a force that man was. Thriller came out and of course i was wayyyy to young to realize the impact it had on the music industry and fans alike. I think my favorite MJ song would have to be "Human Nature". my favorite video, or should i say, short film of his is "Remember the Time". I stayed up all night one night writing down lyrics to that song, only to open the CD book and find out that MJ put the lyrics to ALL his songs in his CD books. shame on me for not noticing, but i think it made me learn better by trying to decipher his OOs and SHAM'ONs. I remember being TERRIFIED of "Thriller" the song and the music video. i believe it was something like track 9 or 13 on the "History" album, and i used to pray that i would fall asleep before the song came on or i would never be able to have a good night's sleep. he scared the shit out of me! i think at that age, i really thought he was some kind of other being, as if he could turn into a werewolf or a zombie at any moment, because he was just so out of this world. I was enrolled in a drama class over the summer when i was about 10 years old, and one of the numbers we had to perform was MJ's dance from Thriller...lets just say i ROCKED that shit. (i wish i could share it with you but its on VHS) I know people still like to throw dirt on his name, whether it be his appearance or his interest in children, but i dont know how these people can deny the impact he has made musically. So many of these artists have skeletons in their closets, and weird quirks and addictions, but my stance is, if they are still 100% dedicated to their art, how can we judge? i believe that artists are the most misunderstood people on this planet, and MJ is no exception. can you imagine having fans that cared for you more than your own family members? Complete strangers offering their life to you while the people you are surrounded with are giving you nothing that compares to that. SHIET, u would have drug problems too! i mean, in NO WAY am i condoning his behavior, but i'm trying to say that we can't understand his life because it was not ours, and i believe that no one will ever know what it felt like to be Michael Jackson, and therefore we shouldn't be so quick to pass judgement.

Whether emulating his dance moves, his fashion, or his musical riffs, MJ will be now and always the KING OF POP. I love you Michael, Long Live the KING.

No comments:

Post a Comment